Sunday, June 13, 2010

The World Cup has kicked off.



The month we have all been anticipating is here, the kick off to the World Cup. Nothing thrills me more than watching a soccer match on the world's biggest stage seeing the players on the field giving it their all to earn that win. This only happens once every four years, it is really mind-boggling. Ever since I was six years old I've held a passion for soccer because I witnessed the France '98 tournament thanks to my dad letting me skip school just to watch the Mexican National Squad play. I can still recall the days of Blanco feeding the ball to Hernandez.

As a kid, nothing else beat pretending you were one of those players out on that field. Although in '98 I witnessed my dear Mexico lose at the hands of Germany and watching my dad's hopes of advancement in the tournament fade all in the last 15 minutes of that second round match, it showed me that this was more than a game, it was a passion that ran through your blood. Watching Mexico play the host South Africa on kick-off day made me feel the way my father did that 29th of June, seeing my team battle it out on that field giving it their all. They missed some crucial goals and even had to endure the agony of falling behind on the scoreboard, but in the end it was all worth it as our national emblem for the last decade pulled through for us. Thank you Rafael Marquez.

May this World Cup be the most successful one so far in Mexico's history and may Aguirre finally realize that Guardado is the answer while Perez is definitely not.

No comments:

Post a Comment